Connect with Us:
Log In | My Account | Subscribe
Shetek Dental
Murray County Implement
The Hut
Murray County Speedway
The Hut
Murray County Speedway
Farmer's Agency Avoca

Great Slayton Area Get Together

Slayton Area Community Band Concerts in Gullord Park, Slayton will begin Thursday, June 8th.  Every Thursday evening, June 8th – July 13th, in Gullord Park there will be music, food, and fun beginning at 5PM!  June 8th the Minnwest Relay for Life Team will be serving walking tacos for a small cost beginning at 5 PM.  At 7 PM the Slayton Area Community Band will present various musical selections.  Selections on June 8th will include “Aces of the Air,”  “Be Thou My Vision,” “The Best of George M. Cohan,” and “Highlights from the Sound of Music.”  Mike Helgeson will be the guest conductor.

The American Cancer Society spent an estimated $144 million on research and health professional training last year, and more than $4.3 billion since 1946.   Murray County’s Relay for Life dollars were part of this.

Bring your lawn chair and come to Gullord Park for an evening meal, enjoy a musical concert, and support a local cause.  What could be a better “Get Together!”

2017 FSA Acreage Reporting Dates

In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, once you are finished planting, all producers are encouraged to visit your local County FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline.

The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for most surrounding counties:

July 15, 2017—Spring seeded forage, corn, soybeans, spring seeded small grains and CRP                    

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.

If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.

 If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only,” “green manure,” “left standing,” or “seed,” then the acreage must be reported by July 15th.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

Please contact your local FSA office for more information or to schedule an appointment certify acres. To find your local FSA office visit

“USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).”

It’s Here! MN CREP sign-up 

Murray County Landowners have a new option to protect their environmentally sensitive cropland with the introduction of the Minnesota Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (MN CREP).  The kick-off for the MN CREP continuous sign-up begins May 15, 2017.

 “Landowners have been waiting for this program, and we’re excited to help them with the process,” Megan Howell said.  “This is a great opportunity for farmers and landowners to implement conservation practices that support their needs while benefiting the state’s water quality.”

MN CREP is a voluntary state-federal program designed to improve water quality and habitat conservation.  It will protect and restore up to 60,000 acres of marginal cropland across 54 southern and western Minnesota counties, using buffer strips, wetland restoration and drinking water wellhead protection.  The program is funded with approximately $350 million from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and $150 million from the State of Minnesota.

 “This is a milestone in conservation for Minnesota,” according to John Jaschke, Executive Director of the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR).  “State soil and water conservation district staff and federal USDA staff are ready to help landowners get started.”

Landowners who are accepted in MN CREP will enroll in the USDA’s Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) for 14-15 years.  At the same time, the land will be put into a permanent conservation easement through the State’s Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) easement program.  Private ownership continues and the land is permanently restored and enhanced for water quality and habitat benefits.

Murray Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) will begin accepting on May 15, 2017. Landowners wanting to learn more should contact: Megan Howell- 507-836-6990 ext. 3. More information about the MN CREP can be found at   

Producers are Encouraged to Report Prevented Planting and Failed Acres

USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) reminds producers to report prevented planting and failed acres in order to establish or retain FSA program eligibility for some programs.

Producers should report crop acreage they intended to plant, but due to natural disaster, were prevented from planting.  Prevented planting acreage must be reported on form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date as established by FSA and Risk Management Agency (RMA). 

In our area, the final planting date for corn is May 31 and for soybeans June 10. 

If a producer is unable to report the prevented planting acreage within the 15 calendar days following the final planting date, a late-filed report can be submitted.  Late-filed reports will only be accepted if FSA conducts a farm visit to assess the eligible disaster condition that prevented the crop from being planted.  A measurement service fee will be charged.

Additionally, producers with failed acres should also use form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, to report failed acres. 

Producers of hand-harvested crops must notify FSA of damage or loss through the administrative County Office within 72 hours of the date of damage or loss first becomes apparent. This notification can be provided by filing a CCC-576, email, fax or phone. Producers who notify the County Office by any method other than by filing the CCC-576 are still required to file a CCC-576, Notice of Loss, within the required 15 calendar days.

For losses on crops covered by the Non-Insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP), producers must file a Notice of Loss within 15 days of the occurrence of the disaster or when losses become apparent.  Producers must timely file a Notice of Loss for failed acres on all crops including grasses. 

Please contact your local FSA office for more information or to schedule an appointment to file a Notice of Loss. To find your local FSA office visit